Z500 Series ZTrak™ Mowers
Get ready to put a whole different spin on cutting the grass with mower decks in three cutting widths, three levels of comfort, and a 4.5 US gallon (17 L) fuel tank. Buckle up, because the Z500 Series gives you a ride you’ll never forget.
Comfortable ride delivered by an operator station with premium controls and ComfortGlide™ suspension
The operator station is designed to provide superior operator comfort for many different operators:
- Large, comfortable foot platform
- Plenty of legroom for comfortable operation
- Isolated with thick rubber spacers to minimize vibration
- Standard rubber floor mat for extra foot comfort
- Standard rubber toe board mat to stretch your legs in comfort
- Standard foot pegs allow various comfortable positions for your feet
- Adjustable seat position, armrests, and spring suspension to suit each operator
- Control panel conveniently located to the right of the seat
- Adjustable premium motion-control levers
- Premium motion control levers have extra bends and material for greater operator comfort
- Upper and lower positioning combined with forward and rearward tilt offers more legroom and hand positions
The comfortable seat has two suspension springs, fore-aft seat adjustment and ComfortGlide suspension:
- A high-back, 22.5-in. (57.1-cm) seat with thick foam padding for good support and comfort
- Armrests for extra support
- 3-in. (7.6-cm) no-tools, fore-aft adjustment
Two long, steel springs to absorb shocks when traveling over rougher areas
- ComfortGlide is an additional system that allows a controlled fore and aft movement of the seat when experiencing undulations in uneven terrain. (M and R Series only)
- Dramatically reduces horizontal vibrations and reduces jarring
- Feel of ride is as if the operator is floating over the ground
- Makes a big improvement to operator ride comfort
- Allows front to rear movement, 1-in. (2.5-cm) forward and 1-in. (2.5-cm) rearward, to be absorbed
- One lever with three positions
- Slide seat fore/aft up to 3 in. (7.6 cm)
- Engage isolator function to allow movement up to 1 in. (2.5 cm) fore and aft
- Disengage isolator function to lock seat in position
FOOT PEGS (STANDARD ON R SERIES, OPTIONAL ON E AND M SERIES)
Foot pegs (standard on the Z530R and Z545R and available as an extra-cost kit on the Z515E and Z530M) provide you with different foot placement options.
Foot pegs are secured to the toe board in the horizontal position to provide more variability for foot placement. The pegs also act as handles to remove and replace the foot platform.
NOTE: Toe-board mat shown in photo is standard equipment on the Z530R and Z545R and can be ordered through Parts for the Z515E and Z530M.
CUP HOLDER AND STORAGE COMPARTMENT
The dual beverage holder on the left fender and storage compartment on the right fender add convenience for the operator:
- Room for two drink containers of various sizes for longer mowing jobs
- Storage compartment provides a safe and convenient location to store tools and supplies
NOTE: A storage compartment cover is standard on the Z530R and Z545R.
12-V CHARGE PORT
12-V outlet is located within the storage compartment for the convenience of connecting a variety of electrical and electronic equipment.
Easy-to-see-and-use electric fuel gauge, instruments, and controls
CONTROL CONSOLE INCLUDES AN EASY-TO-READ FUEL GAUGE
The control console is located to the right of the operator station and includes the following:
- Ignition switch
- Power take-off (PTO) control (yellow)
- Light switch
- Space for an additional electric control switch
- Engine speed controls (orange)
The Z545R engine is equipped with electronic fuel injection (EFI) and electronic throttle control (ETC) that permit simplified electronic control of engine speed and power for optimum performance in varying conditions:
- MAX – full power and performance for the toughest mowing conditions, such as longer, thicker grass
- ECO – fuel saving setting for easier mowing conditions, such as shorter or dryer grass
- MIN – engine idle speed for transport, loading/unloading, etc.
Advanced instrument display has the look and feel of a modern automobile with a power-up sequence cycles lights and gauges to indicate they are working:
- Display features a dark cockpit design to minimize operator distractions.
- Display is backlit for night visibility.
- Hour meter makes it easy to tell when oil changes and other maintenance should be performed.
- Electronic fuel gauge provides real-time fuel level information.
- A tachometer graphically displays engine speed.
- Target-zone graphics inform the operator of the engine speed range to use for best cut quality.
- An indicator tells the operator when the PTO is operating.
- Bright caution and stop lights capture the operator's attention when important information is on the instrument cluster.
- Damage can be prevented and repair costs can be reduced by addressing problems early.
- Operators are advised of what the problem is if they attempt to operate the mower with unsatisfied PTO, seat, or park brake interlocks.
- The indicators are also useful to identify the reasons the PTO or engine may have shut off when an interlock is unsatisfied.
- Operators are advised if battery voltage is low, normal, or excessive.
- The service indicator light illuminates to indicate a diagnostic error code is stored.
- On-board diagnostics provides trouble codes for use by trained technicians.
- For example, a technician can test switch functionality and circuit continuity without tools.
FUEL SIGHT WIDOW AND FILL CAP
A conveniently located fuel-sight window allows the operator to view the fuel level when approaching the vehicle from the front:
- Semi-clear material makes seeing how much fuel is in the tank quick and easy.
- Large, 3-in. (7.6-cm) diameter fuel-fill opening reduces the chance of spilling when adding fuel.
- Fuel-fill opening is low and angled to make adding fuel easy.
- Cap is tethered to the fuel tank.
- Less chance of fuel cap getting lost
MOWER DECK LIFT AND CUT HEIGHT
Mower deck cutting height can be adjusted from 1 in. (2.5 cm) to 4 in. (10.2 cm) in 0.25-in. (0.64-cm) increments for excellent cut quality and performance:
- A convenient foot-lift pedal is used to raise the mower deck for setting cut height or locking mower in the raised or transport position.
- A lift-assist spring is provided to optimize the effort it takes to raise the mower deck.
CUT-HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT AND TRANSPORT LOCK
- To adjust cut height, simply push down on the foot-lift pedal, place the cut-height pin in the desired location, and release the foot-lift pedal to lower the deck to the chosen height.
- Use the foot-lift pedal to lock the deck in transport mode. Simply depress the pedal all the way and the deck will lock into transport mode.
- To unlock and lower the deck, push down on the foot-lift pedal, pull up on the transport unlock lever, and release the foot-lift pedal to lower the deck to the chosen height.
PREMIUM STEERING LEVERS
Motion control levers are shaped and located for operator comfort and ease of control.
Premium control levers on the Z530R and Z545R are painted green and have a unique shape and size for more comfortable operation.
The motion-control levers can be adjusted to two different height settings and nine different fore-aft settings:
- Combined height and fore/aft adjustments provide 18 positions
- Increased operator comfort with more leg room and more hand positions
- Adjustable for most precise control of the machine
Tracking adjustment can be made from the operator seat with the provided tool.
The park brake is conveniently located:
- Large lever is easy to use.
- Park brake effectively holds the machine in the parked position.
- Park brake must be engaged (in the upper position) to start the engine.
- Once the engine is started, the park brake must be disengaged before operating the motion-control levers.
- Park brake must be engaged for the engine to crank.
- Motion-control levers must be in the outward position for the engine to crank.
- Park brake must be disengaged before operating the motion-control levers or the engine will stall.
SAFETY INTERLOCK SYSTEM
Safety interlocks help prevent operating in an unsafe way:
- The parking brake must be engaged for the engine to crank.
- Parking brake is set when motion-control levers are in the outward position.
- The operator presence system requires the operator to be in the seat to operate the PTO.
- The key switch interlock prevents bypass starting.
- If the operator leaves the seat when the PTO is engaged, the controls are in the operating position, or the parking brake is not set, the engine will shut down.
- The seat interlock switch disengages the mower when the operator leaves the seat.
- The engine will stall if the operator leaves the seat without the motion-control levers in the outward position and the parking brake set.
Superior durability and productivity from flat-top design of 9-gauge, 0.15-in. (3.8-mm) high capacity mower decks
High Capacity Mower Decks are a heavy-duty, 9-gauge, 0.15-in. (3.8-mm), stamped-steel, deep, flat-top design that delivers excellent cut quality, productivity, cleanliness, durability, and versatility. Experience optimal performance and dispersion of clippings, even at faster mowing speeds:
- Deep-deck design throughout the entire deck shell provides optimum mowing, mulching, and bagging performance.
- Optional MulchControl™ attachment provides superior mulching performance and versatility (not available on 48HC decks).
- Stamped-steel design eliminates sharp edges and corners where material can build up and diminish mowing performance.
- Mower deck is suspended from the vehicle for a smooth and level cut.
- Adjustable mower wheels positioned just above ground level help smooth out the mowing job.
Z530R and Z545R ZTrak™ Mowers are equipped with a 48-in. (122-cm), 54-in. (137-cm), or 60-in. (152-cm) High Capacity Mower Deck.
DEEP DECK DESIGN
The mower deck has a deep-deck design:
- Constructed from heavy, 9-gauge, 0.15-in. (3.8-mm) steel
- Minimizes the number of welds required
- Has a smooth underside for reduced material buildup
- Deep-deck design delivers excellent airflow so large volumes of material can be processed quickly and efficiently.
- A wider and higher discharge opening provides even clipping dispersal for an excellent finished appearance in all conditions.
- A durable, plastic deflector spreads grass clippings evenly across the lawn, is hinged, and can be raised to minimize the storage space required.
- 1-in. (25.4-mm) cold-forged spindles are heat-treated for strength and are supported by ball bearings.
- Standard front rollers and two double-captured wheels provide a more even mowing job and reduce the chance of scalping.
- Adjustable for different mowing heights
- The front edge is raised above the blade plane to allow for even cutting of tall grass.
- Blade overlap is greater than many conventional decks for a clean cut.
- The mower can side-discharge, mulch, or collect material.
MOWER LEVEL ADJUSTMENT
- Deck leveling and rake angle adjustment is provided at all four mower mounting points.
REINFORCED LEADING EDGE
Steel reinforcing bars are welded to the front edge and trim side of the mower deck:
- Strengthens the deck to reduce chance of damage from obstructions
- Increased material thickness for longer deck life
SUPERIOR DURABILITY IS DESIGNED IN
The deck has deep, strong spindle pockets to keep the blades aligned, even after years of tough operation:
- Ribs formed in the deck shell add strength where needed.
- The aluminum spindle housing has an 8-in. (20-cm) base for extra strength.
Flip-up spindle covers make cleaning the spindle area convenient.
WHEELS AND ROLLERS
Dual-captured side anti-scalp wheels and front rollers:
- Give a more even mowing job and reduce the chance of scalping
- Wheels are adjustable for different mowing heights
OPTIONAL MULCHCONTROL™ ATTACHMENT
The MulchControl attachment makes mulching more practical for many mowing situations because it not only does an excellent job of mulching but it also allows the mower to be easily converted for times when it is more desirable to side discharge or collect the lawn material. Advantages of mulching grass clippings include:
- A beautiful looking lawn
- Grass clippings not blown onto the operator, driveways, or flower beds
- Less fertilizer required
- Elimination of the effort needed to dispose of clippings
MulchControl is an innovative, simple design that is easy to use and maintain:
- The MulchControl attachment includes baffles to control the flow of material under the deck.
- Mulching blades to give a more complete mulching job are included.
- The left mower blade area is completely enclosed and optimized for mulching and will mulch even when the mower is in the side-discharge mode.
- Baffles around the center and right blades are optimized for mulching when the discharge baffle is closed.
- A MulchControl kit is not available for 48HC mower decks.
The optional MulchControl attachment comes with a handle on top of the mower deck that is used to open and close the discharge baffle:
- The operator is required to get off of the machine in order to engage or disengage mulch mode.
- Changing from mulching to side discharge or vice versa with the hand lever takes only a few seconds.
MulchControl is well-suited to the following mowing situations:
- Usually mulch, but side discharge when grass gets too long
- Usually side discharge, but would like to be able to close the chute to control clippings
- Always mulch a main lawn, but often side discharge secondary lawns
- Bag clippings, but want to go farther before emptying bags
MulchControl puts the operator in control of the clippings. The operator can have all the benefits of mulching with the ability to easily change to side-discharge or bagging when needed.
While in the side-discharge mode, MulchControl will still mulch about one-third of the material. Therefore, the side-discharge mode is essentially a partial mulch mode. This can be an advantage when side discharging or bagging, as it helps reduce the amount of material being discharged. Other times this could work as a disadvantage:
- When cutting strong southern grasses, such as Zoysia and Bermuda
- When cutting in wet, high-growth conditions, such as those found in the Pacific Northwest United States
- When optimum bagging and lawn cleanup is desired
OPTIONAL 6.5-BU (229-L) ZTRAK Z500 SERIES MATERIAL COLLECTION SYSTEM (MCS) (NOT AVAILABLE FOR 60-IN. [152-CM] HIGH CAPACITY MOWER DECK)
The 6.5-bu (230-L) rear bagger efficiently collects material from a 48- or 54-in. (122- or 137-cm) Mower Deck:
- Hopper and included attachment bar/bumper, Power Flow blower, and chute components are ordered separately to make a complete MCS.
- A weight bracket is included for installation on the front of the vehicle to help counterbalance the weight of the hopper. For proper ballast with complete MCS:
- Four weights are required on a ZTrak Z500 Series equipped with a 48-in. (122-cm) Mower Deck.
- Three weights are required on a ZTrak Z500 Series equipped with a 54-in. (137-cm) Mower Deck.
The hopper design provides efficient bagging performance, clean operation, and easy-to-empty bags:
- Two durable bags give a generous, 6.5-bu (230-L) capacity.
- The bags lift out for easy emptying.
- An efficient chute provides a smooth flow of material to reduce the chance of plugging.
- The chute and Power Flow blower must be ordered separately.
- Standard mower blades are used for bagging.
- The air exhaust duct directs air from the hopper back and toward the ground for clean operation.
- Convenient latch makes opening and closing the hopper easy.
NOTE: Appropriate hopper with included attachment bar, Power Flow blower, chute and weights are required and ordered separately.
NOTE: MulchControl attachments and MCS components are not included in base equipment for a Z500 Series machine and must be ordered separately.
Quick starts and top performance from 44.2-cu in. (724-cc) V-twin engine with electronic fuel injection (EFI) and electronic throttle control (ETC)
- The Z545R engine includes EFI and ETC features for superior performance:
- EFI meters the correct amount of fuel directly into each engine cylinder for all operating conditions.
- Simplifies engine starts and warm-up by eliminating the need for the operator to use a choke.
- Fast, reliable starts are routine just like with a modern automobile.
- Fuel usage is reduced up to 20 percent compared to a carbureted engine.
- No adjustments are needed at altitude
- No choke-related problems since the choke is eliminated
- Reduced maintenance expense because of fewer complaints related to hard starting, vapor lock, misfire, run-on, or fouled spark plugs
- ETC works in conjunction with EFI to electronically adjust the supply of fuel air mixture.
- Increases torque as needed to maintain engine operating speed under load.
- Ground speed and mower blade-tip speed remain constant, even in heavy-grass conditions, to improve productivity and cut quality.
- Mechanical governors cannot respond fast enough to maintain a constant engine speed.
- Some torque rise remains to warn the operator before the engine stalls.
- Large 44.2-cu in. (724-cc) displacement for torque to pull through tough operating conditions.
- Easy inspection and removal of any debris that may have collected using two large cleanout ports that are integrated into the engine shroud over the cylinder heads.
- Engine service times, reliability, and life are increased with the use of premium engine oil and air filtering systems, as well as the cooling design.
- 25 hp (18.6 kW) at 3500 rpm for excellent performance
- Greater torque, lower vibration, and improved sound quality from the V-twin cylinder design
- Fast starts with electronic ignition
- Long engine life with cast-iron cylinder liners
- Excellent power and fuel economy with overhead valves
- Reliable operation with in-line fuel filter
No choke control is needed:
- A servo motor controls the intake air butterfly valve and the air stream.
- For cold starts, the actuator will close the valve, making starting the engine easier. No choke lever is needed.
- Starts are quick and easy, even for inexperienced operators.
Since the Z545R engine is equipped with EFI and ETC, simplified electronic control of engine speed and power for optimum performance in varying conditions is advantageous:
- MAX – full power and performance for the toughest mowing conditions, such as longer, thicker grass
- ECO – fuel saving setting for easier mowing conditions, such as shorter or dryer grass
- MIN – engine idle speed for transport
Easily access the oil check and fill cap that is located at the top of engine. A no-tools oil-drain cap with hose is also provided for easy, no-mess maintenance.
4.5-GAL. (17-L) FUEL CAPACITY FOR EXTENDED MOWING TIMES
The 4.5-gal. (17-L) fuel tank is easy to fill and has a sight level window and dash-mounted gauge:
- Longer times between refills with the large tank
- Easy to see how much fuel is in the tank by viewing the sight gauge when approaching from the front of the machine or glancing at the dash from the seat
- Easy filling and minimum chance of spills with a large, 3-in. (7.6-cm) diameter fuel opening that is low and angled
John Deere recommends the use of fuel stabilizer in gasoline. See Fuel-Protect for gasoline engines (8 oz [237 mL]) for more information.