Z500 Series ZTrak™ Mowers
Get ready to put a whole different spin on cutting the grass with mower decks in three cutting widths, three levels of comfort, and a 4.5 US gallon (17 L) fuel tank. Buckle up, because the Z500 Series gives you a ride you’ll never forget.
Comfortable ride delivered by an operator station with adjustable controls and seat position
The operator station is designed to provide superior operator comfort for many different operators:
- Large foot platform
- Ample legroom for comfortable operation
- Optional rubber foot mat (not shown) available for extra foot comfort
- Optional foot pegs (not shown) available to allow various positions for operator’s feet
- Adjustable seat fore-aft position, armrests, and spring suspension to suit each operator
- Control panel conveniently located to the right of the seat
- Adjustable motion-control levers
- Upper and lower positioning combined with forward and rearward tilt offers more legroom and hand positions
The comfortable seat has two suspension springs and no-tools, fore-aft seat adjustment that can be used by the operator while seated. The Z515E has:
- A medium-back, 18-in. (45.7-cm) seat with thick foam padding for good support and comfort
- Armrests as standard equipment
- 3-in. (7.6-cm) fore-aft adjustment to make each operator comfortable
Two long, steel springs under the seat absorb shocks when traveling over rougher areas to provide a smoother ride.
FOOT PEGS (STANDARD ON R SERIES, OPTIONAL ON E AND M SERIES)
Foot pegs provide you with more foot placement options and act as convenient handles to remove and replace the foot platform.
NOTE: Foot pegs are standard on the Z530R and Z545R and an optional extra-cost kit on the Z515E and Z530M.
CUP HOLDER AND STORAGE COMPARTMENT
The dual beverage holder on the left fender and storage compartment on the right fender add convenience for the operator:
- Room for two drink containers of various sizes for longer mowing jobs
- Storage compartment provides a safe and convenient location to store tools and supplies
NOTE: A storage compartment cover is standard on the Z530R and Z545R.
Easy-to-see-and-use electric fuel gauge, instruments, and controls
CONTROL CONSOLE INCLUDES AN EASY-TO-READ FUEL GAUGE
The control console is located to the right of the operator station and includes the following:
- Digital display
- Easy-to-read fuel gauge keeps track of the amount of fuel remaining to minimize time spent stopping to refuel.
- Hour meter shows operating hours to keep maintenance on schedule.
- Ignition switch
- Power take-off (PTO) control (yellow)
- Engine speed control (orange)
- Spring-loaded engine choke control so it is not inadvertently left on
- Space for an optional light kit switch
- Space for an additional electric control switch
FUEL SIGHT WIDOW AND FILL CAP
A conveniently located fuel-sight window allows the operator to view the fuel level when approaching the vehicle from the front:
- Semi-clear material makes seeing how much fuel is in the tank quick and easy.
- Large, 3-in. (7.6-cm) diameter fuel-fill opening reduces the chance of spilling when adding fuel.
- Fuel-fill opening is low and angled to make adding fuel easy.
- Cap is tethered to the fuel tank.
- Less chance of fuel cap getting lost
MOWER DECK LIFT AND CUT HEIGHT
Mower deck cutting height can be adjusted from 1 in. (2.5 cm) to 4 in. (10.2 cm) in 0.25-in. (0.64-cm) increments for excellent cut quality and performance:
- A convenient foot-lift pedal is used to raise the mower deck for setting cut height or locking mower in the raised or transport position.
- A lift-assist spring is provided to optimize the effort it takes to raise the mower deck.
CUT-HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT AND TRANSPORT LOCK
- To adjust cut height, simply push down on the foot-lift pedal, place the cut-height pin in the desired location, and release the foot-lift pedal to lower the deck to the chosen height.
- Use the foot-lift pedal to lock the deck in transport mode. Simply depress the pedal all the way and the deck will lock into transport mode.
- To unlock and lower the deck, push down on the foot-lift pedal, pull up on the transport unlock lever, and release the foot-lift pedal to lower the deck to the chosen height.
ADJUSTABLE STEERING LEVERS
Motion control levers are shaped and located for operator comfort and ease of control.
The motion-control levers can be adjusted to two different height settings and nine different fore-aft settings:
- Combined height and fore/aft adjustments provide 18 positions
- Increased operator comfort with more leg room and more hand positions
- Adjustable for most precise control of the machine
Tracking adjustment can be made from the operator seat with the provided tool.
The park brake is conveniently located:
- Large lever is easy to use.
- Park brake effectively holds the machine in the parked position.
- Park brake must be engaged (in the upper position) to start the engine.
- Motion-control levers must be in the outward position for the engine to crank.
- Park brake must be engaged for the engine to crank.
- Once the engine is started, the park brake must be disengaged before operating the motion-control levers.
- Park brake must be disengaged before operating the motion-control levers or the engine will stall.
SAFETY INTERLOCK SYSTEM
Safety interlocks help prevent operating in an unsafe way:
- The parking brake must be engaged for the engine to crank.
- Parking brake is set when motion-control levers are in the outward position.
- The operator presence system requires the operator to be in the seat to operate the PTO.
- The key switch interlock prevents bypass starting.
- If the operator leaves the seat when the PTO is engaged, the controls are in the operating position, or the parking brake is not set, the engine will shut down.
- The seat interlock switch disengages the mower when the operator leaves the seat.
- The engine will stall if the operator leaves the seat without the motion-control levers in the outward position and the parking brake set.
Superior cut quality and productivity from the flat-top design of Accel Deep™ Mower Decks
The 48-in. (122-cm), 54-in. (137-cm), and 60-in. (152-cm) Accel Deep Mower Decks are a stamped-steel, deep, flat-top design that delivers excellent cut quality, productivity, cleanliness, durability, and versatility. Optimal performance and dispersion of clippings is provided, even at faster mowing speeds or in tall grass:
- 4.83-in. (12.3-cm) (48A/54A) or 4.91-in. (12.5-cm) (60A) depth throughout the entire deck shell for optimum mowing, mulching, and bagging performance.
- Optional MulchControl™ system provides superior mulching performance and versatility.
- Stamped-steel design eliminates sharp edges and corners where material can build up and diminish mowing performance.
- Mower deck is suspended from the vehicle for a smooth and level cut.
- Adjustable mower wheels, positioned just above ground level, help reduce scalping.
- 0.25-in. (6.4-mm) cut-height increments allow the mower to be set at the desired cut height
PRODUCTIVITY - GETTING THE JOB DONE FAST
Deep mower-deck stamping delivers high productivity, which gets the job done fast. It allows room for the cut and suspended material to exit the deck quickly, reducing the amount of recutting so more power is available to process incoming grass:
- Greatly improves the mower’s capacity to maintain excellent mowing performance and cut quality in difficult mowing conditions and at higher speeds
- Even in mulching mode, cut evenness is improved compared to other designs because the additional depth allows for continuous circulation, optimal recutting, and an even distribution of clippings.
Large discharge opening is both high and wide to handle more material:
- Gives a smooth, even discharge of clippings at all mowing speeds
- Reduces the chance of plugging, especially important when operating in wet, thick, or dense grass and when bagging
CLEANLINESS - FOR THE MOWER AND THE OPERATOR
Cleaning a mower deck is one of the most frequent maintenance activities. The flat-top shape of the deck stamping is optimal for keeping itself and the operator clean:
- There are few places to catch and hold material on top and underneath the deck.
- Top of deck stays cleaner, reducing time and effort needed for cleaning and service
- Underside of deck is self-cleaning to maintain optimum performance without buildup of material to interfere with the flow of air and clippings
- Less need to clean and remove buildup of material from underside of deck
- The depth of the Accel Deep Mower Deck minimizes the amount of material that escapes from the front of the deck.
- Limited amount of material drifts onto the operator and mower deck
- Even for material discharged out the chute, less recutting results in larger pieces that are less likely to end up on the operator
- Mulching prevents the discharge of material completely and MulchControl makes mulching a practical solution for most mowing situations.
A wash port and hose connector are provided to make cleaning the underside of the mower deck easy.
SUPERIOR DURABILITY IS DESIGNED IN
Accel Deep Mower Decks have strong spindle pockets to keep the blades aligned, even after years of tough service:
- Stamped from strong 10-gauge, 0.135-in. (3.4-mm) steel
- Ribs in the deck shell add strength where it is needed.
- Mower wheels are double captured:
- Provides greater strength and durability for longer, trouble-free life
- Single-bolt adjustment makes setting wheels to the correct cutting height quick and easy
- Low-tension belt-drive design reduces the side load on engine lower bearings and mower deck bearings for longer life.
- A 5/8-in. (16-mm) diameter solid-steel rod side guard provides extra strength and protection.
- Dual-stage E-coat and powder-paint coatings provide extra protection from rust.
VERSATILITY - EASY TO CHANGE BETWEEN SIDE DISCHARGE, MULCH, AND BAGGING MODES
Accel Deep Mower Decks are designed for maximum versatility, providing the greatest ease in changing from one mower discharge mode to another:
- With MulchControl, changing from side discharging to mulching or vice versa is done with the simple flip of a lever.
- On 48A and 54A Mower Decks, the Power Flow rear bagger can be used with MulchControl by simply using the MulchControl lever to move the mulch baffle to the side-discharge position.
The MulchControl system for Accel Deep Mower Decks is an optional field-installed attachment and makes mulching practical for many mowing situations because it not only does an excellent job of mulching, but it also allows the mower to be easily converted for times when it is more desirable to side discharge or collect lawn material.
Advantages of mulching grass clippings include:
- A beautiful looking lawn
- Grass clippings not blown onto the operator, driveways, or flower beds
- Less fertilizer required
- Elimination of the effort needed to dispose of clippings
HOW MULCHCONTROL WORKS
MulchControl is an innovative, simple design that is easy to use and maintain:
- The MulchControl attachment includes baffles to control the flow of material under the deck.
- The MulchControl baffle, or divider, between the left and middle spindles is about halfway down. The height is designed to balance the mulching and side-discharge modes.
- When the MulchControl baffle is open, the divider between the left and middle spindles passes a portion of the material to the discharge opening, along with the material from the middle and right spindle areas.
- When the MulchControl baffle is closed, the material stays within the deck and gets chopped into mulch and deposited in the turf.
- The MulchControl handle is located on top of the mower deck and used to open and close the discharge baffle.
- The operator is required to get off the machine in order to engage or disengage mulch mode.
- Changing from mulching to side discharge or vice versa takes only a few seconds.
MulchControl is well-suited to the following mowing situations:
- Usually mulch, but side discharge when grass gets too long
- Usually side-discharge, but would like to be able to close the chute to control clippings
- Always mulch a main lawn, but often side discharge secondary lawns
- Bag clippings, but want to go farther before emptying bags
MulchControl puts the operator in control of the clippings. The operator can have all the benefits of mulching with the ability to easily change to side discharge or bagging when needed.
While in the side-discharge mode, MulchControl still mulches about one third of the material. Therefore, the side-discharge mode is essentially a partial mulch mode. This can be an advantage when side discharging or bagging, as it helps reduce the amount of material being discharged. Other times this could work as a disadvantage:
- When cutting strong southern grasses, such as Zoysia and Bermuda
- When cutting in wet, high-growth conditions, such as those found in the Pacific Northwest United States
- When optimum bagging and lawn cleanup is desired
6.5-BU (230-L) POWER FLOW REAR BAGGER (NOT AVAILABLE FOR 60-IN. [152-CM] MOWER DECK)
An optional 6.5-bu (230-L) Power Flow rear bagger material collection system (MCS) is available. It provides an efficient means of collecting grass clippings and leaves:
- The Power Flow blower and chute are easy to install.
- The Power Flow blower swings out for easy cleanout and cleanup. The hopper design provides modern styling, great bagging performance, cleaner operation, and easy-to-empty bags:
- Easy-to-attach Power Flow blower (ordered separately)
- Easy-to-attach chute (ordered separately)
- Air exhaust duct
- Convenient spring-latch
- Airflow fill indicator
- Quik-Tatch™ mounting
- Sealed hopper top
- Loose-knit bags available
- Hopper kit comes with ballast bracket
Great performance and long life with a smooth and powerful 44.2-cu in. (724-cc) V-twin engine
Get superior performance and reliability with a large 44.2-cu in. (724-cc) displacement engine that has many premium features:
- Easy inspection and removal of any debris that may have collected using two large cleanout ports that are integrated into the engine shroud over the cylinder heads.
- Engine service times, reliability, and life are increased with the use of premium engine oil and air filtering systems, as well as the cooling design.
Experience plenty of power and torque to handle tough mulching, mowing, and bagging conditions with the 24-hp (17.9-kW) V-twin engine:
- Greater torque, lower vibration, and improved sound quality from the V-twin cylinder design
- Fast starts with electronic ignition
- Long engine life with cast-iron cylinder liners
- Excellent power and fuel economy with overhead valves
- Reliable operation with in-line fuel filter
The engine speed lever and choke control lever are separate controls:
- The engine speed lever is easy to use - there is no need to worry about pushing too far and engaging the choke like on single throttle/choke lever systems.
The engine area is open for visibility to important service points, making it easy to inspect and clean the engine.
4.5-GAL. (17-L) FUEL CAPACITY FOR EXTENDED MOWING TIMES
The 4.5-gal. (17-L) fuel tank is easy to fill and has a sight-level window and dash-mounted gauge:
- Longer times between refills with the large tank
- Easy to see how much fuel is in the tank by viewing the sight gauge when approaching from the front of the machine
- Easy filling and minimum chance of spills with a large, 3-in. (7.6-cm) diameter fuel opening that is low and angled
John Deere recommends the use of fuel stabilizer in gasoline. See Fuel-Protect for gasoline engines (8 oz [237 mL]) for more information.