R Series Commercial Walk-behind Mowers
When it comes to the controls on the M & R Series professional walk-behind mowers, your hands were what we thought of first. That's what led us to design a control layout that your hands are really going to enjoy.
V-twin engine delivers smooth operation and plenty of power
Powered by an air-cooled, vertical-shaft engine:
- 14.5 hp (10.8 kW) - W36R
- 18.5 hp (13.8 kW) - W48R, W52R, W61R
- 36.8 cu in. (603 cc)
- Electric start with a large 300 cold-cranking amp (CCA) battery for fast, convenient starts
- V-twin design for smooth operation and fast starts
- Consistently strong torque at low- or high-speed operation
- Aluminum engine block with cast-iron cylinder liners
- Effectively dissipates heat
- Lightweight and strong construction
- Overhead valve design
- More horsepower and torque per cubic inch of displacement
- Better fuel efficiency
- Less oil consumption
- Cooler operating temperature
- Full-pressure lubrication with full-flow filter
- Reduces engine wear by ensuring proper lubrication, even when operating on hillsides or uneven terrain
- Helps keep oil clean for increased engine life
- Dual-stage air cleaner for extended engine life and efficient operation
- Rotating grass chopper screen
- Cylinder head cleanout ports to ease maintenance
- Air filter and engine cooling fin cleanout ports are easy to access
- Complies with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) emission standards
Large, 5.4-gal. (20.4-L) top draw fuel tank is easy to fill with large filler opening in an easy-to-reach location:
- Fuel pump for dependable, consistent operation
- Top-draw system to reduce the chance for fuel leakage
- A replaceable in-line fuel filter for trouble-free operation
A powerful, 300-CCA battery is secured and protected from damage in an easy-to-access location.
A fabricated floating mower deck delivers high-quality cut
John Deere commercial mower decks have always demonstrated quality, performance, and durability. Each commercial walk-behind mower is equipped with a high-quality fabricated mower deck:
- 10-gauge, 0.135-in. (3.42-mm) fabricated steel deck top with added 10-gauge, 0.135-in. (3.42-mm) spindle mounting plate
- 7-gauge, 0.19-in. (4.8-mm) side skirts with reinforcement bar
The fabricated, floating mower deck delivers an extremely high-quality cut in diverse conditions:
- Floating suspension enables the best possible cut
- Reinforced front lower edge gives strength and durability
- Deep-deck design for superior capacity
- Hardened high lift steel blades extend cutting time and increase durability.
- High blade-tip speed of 18,000 fpm (5,486 m/min).
- R Series mower decks (except 36-in. [91-cm]) include a rear wheel for additional anti-scalp and curb climbing protection.
- Adjustable to three height positions to suit the cut height
A high-quality polyethylene deflector gives an excellent finished appearance:
- Wide, formed discharge deflector gives even clipping distribution.
- Large discharge deflector evenly disperses expelled clippings.
Caster wheels with flat-free tires contribute to a smooth, even cutting job:
- Large, flat-free caster wheels carry the mower deck smoothly over the lawn.
- Caster wheels are close to the mower deck to reduce vehicle footprint and turning radius.
- With the wheels less exposed, there is less chance they will get snagged by immovable obstacles, thus improving maneuverability and reducing chance of damage.
MOWER CUT-HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT
A floating mower deck has several advantages over a fixed mower deck design:
- Follows ground contour more effectively for a more even cut
- Travels smoothly above the ground with minimal chance of scalping
- Easier to adjust the cutting height
Mower cutting height can be set from 1.5 in. (3.8 cm) to 4.5 in. (11.4 cm) in 0.5-in. (1.3-cm) increments:
- The free-floating deck gives a smoother, more level cut.
- Height-of-cut changes can be made without tools.
- Large handles are provided to facilitate lifting the mower deck for setting the cut height.
- Cut-height adjustment pins have 90-degree bend for easy removal and reinstallation.
Mower deck shields are easily removed with hand knobs for access to the drive belt and other service points:
- Easy-attach belt shields allow quick access for service.
- Hand knobs allow removal of both mower shields, no tools required.
- Greaseable spindles with easy, top access for simplified servicing.
- Spindle grease fittings can be greased with shields in place.
OPTIONAL GRASS CATCHER
The grass catcher is designed to work with 36-in. (91-cm), 48-in. (122-cm), and 52-in. (132-cm) Mower Decks on John Deere Commercial Walk-Behind Mowers:
- Large, 4.4-cu ft (3.5-bu) capacity allows for less stops to empty catcher.
- No mower faceplate is needed. The catcher connects directly to standard mower deck features.
- Stainless steel and aluminum construction is both durable for long life and lightweight for easy handing.
- Convenient sliding door latch enables easy emptying.
- Two large grab handles allow for easy handling.
- Catcher weighs about 30 lb (13.6 kg) empty.
NOTE: The optional mulch and grass catcher attachments are not included in base equipment for the commercial walk-behind mower and must be ordered separately.
Optional mulching attachment for extra convenience
An optional mulching attachment and special mulching blades are available:
- The high-performance mulching attachment includes formed steel baffles to control the material for superior performance.
- Special mulching blades can also be used when side discharging, though overall cutting performance may be slightly less than with the standard blades.
- The mulching attachment allows for conversion of the mower deck so it can be used to perform the mulching function (grass or leaves).
OPERATING TIPS WHEN MULCHING:
- Mow when grass is dry.
- Observe the one-third rule.
- No more than one-third of the grass blade should be cut off at one time. This allows more efficient mulching and will promote the continued good health of the grass.
- If the desired cut height cannot be achieved by cutting off one-third, or there is clumping of the clippings, it may be required to cut higher, wait a day, then lower the mower and make a second pass.
- Mow at proper intervals, approximately every four to five days.
- Always mow with sharp blades.
- Adjust ground speed to allow the mower deck to process the clippings effectively.
Convenient controls for operator comfort and productivity
All of the controls are located within comfortable reach of the operator. Simplified operation of each control offers superior convenience, productivity, and safety:
- Color-coded and clearly marked levers, switches, and buttons enable simplified operation.
- Bilingual decals in English and Spanish are provided.
- The operator presence system requires that one of the bails must be depressed to operate the unit; the machine must be in neutral and the power take-off (PTO) must be disengaged to start.
- Operator presence control levers are recessed into control handle when engaged, provides a smooth contour and comfortable handle to hold during operation.
- Separate choke and throttle – This takes the guesswork out of choke operation, with less chance of fowling the spark plugs.
-The W61R model with electronic fuel injection (EFI) does not require a choke.
- Electric PTO clutch on the engine powers the mower deck. The PTO switch on the dash is easy to see and use.
- Speed and steering controls are designed for ease of operation.
- Ergonomically designed control configuration on all units gives good operator comfort and leverage while driving.
- A speed-control lever is conveniently located in the center of the console and used to set maximum desired speed.
- Low actuation force is required for operator comfort.
- The neutral lock is spring-loaded for easy release.
A convenient and easy-to-operate switch is located on the console to operate the electric clutch, which powers the mower deck.
PARKING BRAKE (W36M, W48M)
W36M and W48M parking brake control lever:
- Color coded and located above the console, within easy reach of the operator
- Actuates internal braking mechanism of the transmissions
PARKING BRAKE (W36R, W48R, W52R, W61R)
W36R, W48R, W52R, and W61R parking brake control lever:
- Color coded and located above the console, within easy reach of the operator
- Actuates arm that creates a mechanical locking interference on both drive tires
- Brake pawl located near top of tire to eliminate contact with curbs