200 Series Lawn Tractor
The best yards are planted with real memories. That’s why the 200 Series lets you spend less time working on your lawn, and more time enjoying it. It’s built with more horsepower, increased speed, and a bumper-to-bumper warranty1 so you’ll have all the peace of mind you need to let the good times roll.
Engine is powerful and smooth-running premium V-twin design
The S240 Tractor has a large 44.3-cu in. (726-cc) displacement engine with premium features that provide superior performance and reliability:
- Large cleanout ports, integrated into the engine shroud, are located over the cylinder heads to allow for easy inspection and removal of any debris that may have collected there.
- Premium engine oil and air filtering systems and cooling design provide increased reliability and engine life.
The 21.5-hp (16-kW) V-twin engine provides plenty of power and torque to handle tough mulching, mowing, and bagging conditions:
- V-twin cylinder design for greater torque, lower vibration, and improved sound quality
- Electronic ignition for fast starts
- Cast-iron cylinder liners for longer engine life
- Overhead valves for excellent power and fuel economy
- Full-pressure lubrication and oil filter for cleaner oil, prolonging engine life and extending the time between oil changes
- Also more effective when operating the tractor on an incline
- In-line fuel filter for reliable operation
The engine speed lever and choke control lever are separate controls:
- The engine speed lever is easy to use - there is no need to worry about pushing too far and engaging the choke as on single throttle/choke lever systems.
- The choke lever is spring loaded so the operator cannot accidentally operate the tractor with the choke on.
Engine hood opens wide for easy access to service points:
- It is easy to inspect and clean the engine area.
- Important service points are exposed.
- Cleanout ports designed into the engine shroud make cleaning the engine cooling fins easy.
- The high-quality engine used in the S240 does not require an 8-hour oil and filter change because improvements in the manufacturing process and quality of parts, components, and oils have eliminated the need for the short interval oil change requirement.
- Capacity is 2.4 U.S. gal. (9.08 L).
- Fuel-filler opening is conveniently located under the seat.
- Filling the tank without spilling is easy.
- The tethered fuel tank cap is more convenient.
- The sealed fuel cap helps keep vapors inside the tank.
48-in. (122-cm) Accel Deep™ (48A) Mower Deck cuts clean and is versatile
The 48-in. (122-cm) Accel Deep Mower Deck is a stamped-steel, deep, flat-top design that delivers excellent cut quality, productivity, cleanliness, durability, and versatility. Optimal performance and dispersion of clippings is provided, even at faster mowing speeds or in tall grass:
- 4.83-in. (12.3-cm) depth throughout the entire deck shell allows for optimum mowing, mulching, and bagging performance.
- Optional MulchControl™ system provides superior mulching performance and versatility.
- Stamped-steel design eliminates sharp edges and corners where material can build up and diminish mowing performance.
- Mower deck is suspended from the vehicle for a smooth and level cut.
- Adjustable mower wheels positioned just above ground level help reduce scalping.
- 0.25-in. (6.4-mm) cut-height increments allow mower to be set at the desired cut height
- Compatible with high-performance Power Flow™ material collection system
EXCELLENT CUT QUALITY
NOTE: Optional front center rollers shown in above mower deck photos.
Deep mower-deck stamping gives excellent cut quality. It allows the cut and suspended material room to exit the deck without getting recut:
- Reducing the amount of recutting enables more power to be used to cut incoming grass, which greatly improves mower capacity.
- Helps maintain excellent cut quality at faster mowing speeds
- Clean flow of material out of the discharge area prevents cut material from interfering with cutting the incoming grass, making it possible for the blades to cut incoming material cleanly.
- Even in mulching mode, cut evenness is improved compared to other designs because the additional depth allows for continuous circulation, optimal recutting, and an even distribution of clippings.
PRODUCTIVITY - GETTING THE JOB DONE FAST
Deep mower-deck stamping gives high productivity, which gets the job done fast. It allows the cut and suspended material room to exit the deck quickly, reducing the amount of recutting so more power is available to process incoming grass:
- Greatly improves mowers capacity to maintain excellent mowing performance in difficult mowing conditions and at higher speeds
Large discharge opening is both high and wide to handle more material:
- Gives a smooth, even discharge of clippings at all mowing speeds
- Reduces the chance of plugging, especially important when operating in wet, thick, or dense grass and when bagging
CLEANLINESS - FOR THE MOWER AND THE OPERATOR
The flat-top shape of the deck stamping is optimal for keeping the deck and the operator clean:
- There are few places to catch and hold material on top and underneath the deck.
- Top of deck stays cleaner, reducing time and effort needed for cleaning and service
- Underside of deck is self-cleaning to maintain optimum performance without build-up of material to interfere with the flow of air and clippings
- Less need to clean and remove buildup of material from underside deck
- The depth of the Accel Deep mower deck minimizes the amount of material that escapes from the front of the deck.
- Limited amount of material drifts onto the operator and mower deck
- Even for material discharged out of the chute, less recutting results in larger pieces that are less likely to end up on the operator
- Mulching prevents the discharge of material completely, and the MulchControl system makes mulching a practical solution for most mowing situations.
Cleaning a mower deck, both top and bottom, is one of the most frequent maintenance activities:
- The flat-top design reduces places for material to build up and makes material that does collect easy to remove.
A wash port is provided to make cleaning the underside of the mower deck easy.
- A hose connector is included with the mower deck.
SUPERIOR DURABILITY IS DESIGNED IN
The 48A Mower Deck has strong spindle pockets, to keep the blades aligned, even after years of tough service:
- Stamped from strong 10-gauge, 0.135-in. (3.4-mm) steel
- Ribs in the deck shell add strength where it is needed.
Mower wheels are heavy duty:
- Provides greater strength and durability for longer, trouble-free life.
- Setting wheels to the correct height for the cutting height is quick and easy.
Low-tension belt-drive design reduces the side load on engine lower bearings and mower deck bearings for longer life.
The mower deck features a 5/8-in. (16-mm) diameter solid-steel rod side bumper that provides extra strength and protection.
Dual-stage E-coat and powder-paint coatings provide extra protection from rust.
Side-discharge blades can be used with the Power Flow system when bagging.
Mulching blades are included with the optional MulchControl attachment. They can be used for mulching, side discharging, and bagging.
VERSATILITY - EASY TO CHANGE BETWEEN SIDE DISCHARGE, MULCH, AND BAGGING MODES
The 48A Mower Deck is designed for maximum versatility, providing the greatest ease in changing from one mower discharge mode to another
- With an optional MulchControl system installed (along with the special mulching blades), changing from side discharging to mulching or vice versa is done with the simple flip of a lever.
- The Power Flow rear bagger can be used with MulchControl by simply using the MulchControl lever to move the mulch baffle to the side-discharge position.
6.5-BU (229-L) POWER FLOW BAGGER
An optional 6.5-bu (229-L) Power Flow material collection system (MCS) is available. It provides efficient bagging performance and has easy-to-empty bags:
- The Power Flow blower and chute are easy to install. The Power Flow blower swings out for easy cleanout and cleanup.
- The hopper design provides modern styling, great bagging performance, cleaner operation, and easy-to-empty bags:
- 6.5-bu (229-L) capacity
- Easy-to-attach Power Flow blower
- Easy-to-attach chute
MulchControl™ system provides superior mulching performance and rapid conversion
The optional MulchControl system makes mulching more practical for many mowing situations because it not only does an excellent job of mulching, but it also allows the mower to be easily converted for times when it is more desirable to side discharge or collect the lawn material. Advantages of mulching grass clippings include:
- Creates a beautiful looking lawn
- Smaller grass clippings disappear into the lawn canopy
- Reduces fertilizer needs
- Grass clippings are not blown onto the operator, driveways, or flower beds
- No need to dispose of bags of clippings
HOW MULCHCONTROL WORKS
MulchControl is an innovative, simple design that is easy to use and maintain:
- The MulchControl system includes an adjustable MulchControl baffle near the discharge chute and fixed baffles to control the flow of material under the deck.
- The MulchControl handle is on top of the mower deck and is used to open and close the MulchControl baffle.
- When the MulchControl baffle is open, most of the material flows freely out the discharge deflector or into a material collection system.
- When the MulchControl baffle is closed, material stays within the deck and gets chopped into mulch and deposited in the turf.
MulchControl is well-suited to the following mowing situations:
- For operators who usually mulch, but side discharge when grass gets too long
- For operators who usually side discharge, but would like to close the chute to control clippings in some areas
- For operators who always mulch a main lawn, but often side discharge secondary lawns
- For operators who collect clippings but want to go farther before emptying the material collection system
MulchControl puts the operator in control of the clippings.
While in the side-discharge mode, MulchControl still mulches about one third of the material. Therefore, the side-discharge mode is essentially a partial-mulch mode. This can be an advantage when side discharging or bagging, as it helps to reduce the amount of material being discharged. Other times this could work as a disadvantage:
- When cutting strong southern grasses, such as Zoysia and Bermuda
- When cutting in wet, high-growth conditions, such as those found in the Pacific Northwest United States
- When optimum bagging and lawn cleanup is desired
When bagging with MulchControl on a 48A mower deck, the MulchControl baffle can be opened or closed with the Power Flow™ blower installed. The Power Flow blower runs without material when the baffle is closed.
When bagging with MulchControl on a 42A mower deck, the cut-and-throw rear bagger can be used with the MulchControl blades. However, the rear MulchControl baffle (A) needs to be removed to install the bagger chute. The baffle is held in place with two carriage bolts. To return to mulching, the chute needs to be removed and the baffle replaced.
Each MulchControl system is an optional field-installed attachment and includes everything needed for handle actuation: baffles, handle, and mulch blades.
Three-year or 200-hour bumper-to-bumper warranty is standard
An exclusive 3-year or 200-hour (whichever comes first), single-source, bumper-to-bumper warranty* is standard for all John Deere 200 Series Tractors.
- The warranty is hassle free, with one company handling all of the paperwork.
- Premium features of 200 Series Tractors allow for this longer warranty period, with more coverage than comparable tractors.
*Term limited to years or hours used, whichever comes first, and varies by model. See the LIMITED WARRANTY FOR NEW JOHN DEERE TURF AND UTILITY EQUIPMENT at JohnDeere.com or JohnDeere.ca/TUWarranty for details.