200 Series Lawn Tractor
The best yards are planted with real memories. That’s why the 200 Series lets you spend less time working on your lawn, and more time enjoying it. It’s built with more horsepower, increased speed, and a bumper-to-bumper warranty1 so you’ll have all the peace of mind you need to let the good times roll.
Engine is powerful and smooth-running premium V-twin design
The S240 Tractor comes with a premium engine, the same as used in some Select Series™ X300 models:
- Large cleanout ports, integrated into the engine shroud, are located over the cylinder heads to allow for easy inspection and removal of any debris that may have collected there.
- Premium engine oil and air filtering systems and cooling design provide increased reliability and engine life.
The 18.5-hp (13.8-kW) V-twin engine provides plenty of power and torque to handle tough mulching, mowing, and bagging conditions:
- V-twin cylinder design for greater torque, lower vibration, and improved sound quality
- Electronic ignition for fast starts
- Cast-iron cylinder liners for longer engine life
- Overhead valves for excellent power and fuel economy
- Full-pressure lubrication and oil filter for cleaner oil, prolonging engine life and extending the time between oil changes
- Also more effective when operating the tractor on an incline
- In-line fuel filter for reliable operation
The engine speed lever and choke control lever are separate controls:
- The engine speed lever is easy to use - there is no need to worry about pushing too far and engaging the choke as on single throttle/choke lever systems.
- The choke lever is spring loaded so the operator cannot accidentally operate the tractor with the choke on.
Engine hood opens wide for easy access to service points:
- It is easy to inspect and clean the engine area.
- Important service points are exposed.
- Cleanout ports designed into the engine shroud make cleaning the engine cooling fins easy.
- The high-quality engine used in the S240 does not require an 8-hour oil and filter change because improvements in the manufacturing process and quality of parts, components, and oils have eliminated the need for the short interval oil change requirement.
FUEL TANK HAS GAUGE TO SHOW FUEL LEVEL FROM THE OPERATOR'S SEAT
The fuel tank gauge shows how much fuel is in the tank, and can be seen without leaving the operator's seat:
- Easy to check the fuel level
- Convenient location
- Capacity is 2.4 U.S. gal. (9.08 L).
- Fuel-filler opening is conveniently located under the seat.
- Filling the tank without spilling is easy.
- The tethered fuel tank cap is more convenient.
- The sealed fuel cap helps keep vapors inside the tank.
- The tractor has a California Air Resources Board (CARB) certified engine for reduced air pollution.
The Edge™ cutting system gives superior performance
The Edge cutting system has been trademarked to emphasize the advantages of the John Deere mower deck designs. They give superior convenience, performance, and reliability:
- The deep-deck mower design lifts grass for a clean, even cut.
- The smooth underside of mower prevents grass buildup and evenly disperses grass clippings.
- The rolled outer edge of the deck provides extra strength and protection.
- Dual-stage E-coat and powder paint coatings provide extra protection from rust.
S240 Tractor's mower deck features a number of durability upgrades compared to comparable John Deere 100 Series and competitive mower decks:
- Premium spindles (same as used on comparable Select Series™ decks)
- Larger anti-scalp wheels
- Upgraded fixed idler sheave bearing (increases life in dirty conditions)
- Upgraded spindle sheaves (same as used on 100 Series 54-in [137-cm] decks)
- Upgraded power take-off (PTO) drive sheave (improves belt life at lower heights of cut)
The 42-in. (107-cm) mower deck is a two-spindle design with heavy-duty characteristics:
- Two adjustable mower wheels are standard equipment for a smooth mowing job, even in rolling terrain.
- The flexible discharge chute minimizes property and mower deck damage.
- No tools are required to go from mulching (with mulch cover) to side discharge to rear bagging.
- A mulch cover is an optional attachment.
- A high-performance mulching blade is available to enhance mulching performance.
The mower deck has a rolled lip to provide greater strength and protection. The rugged 13 gauge, 0.09-in. (2.3-mm) steel-deck mower will provide years of dependable mowing.
The strength of the deck is enhanced by the top-discharge design:
- A section of material below the discharge opening ties the front and rear of the deck together.
- When using the rear bagger, material flows upward through the deck to provide highly effective bagging and a reduced chance of plugging.
- For this reason, no Power Flow™ collection system is available for the 42-in. (107-cm) mower.
MOWER WASH PORT
A wash port is provided to make cleaning the underside of the mower deck easy:
- A hose connector is included with mower deck.
STARLOCK™ BLADE DESIGN
The StarLock blade design keeps the blade bolt at the correct torque for easy removal.
Optional blades for difficult mulching or bagging conditions are available.
MOWER DECK HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT
The spring-assisted, low-effort lift lever simplifies setting and adjusting the mower cut height:
- Increments of 1/4 in. (6.4 mm) allow the operator to fine-tune the cut height.
OPTIONAL MULCHING ATTACHMENT OR MULCH COVER
The mulching attachment for the 42-in. (107-cm) mower provides excellent performance:
- Controls clippings from both blades effectively
- Improves mulching
- More even distribution of mulched clippings
- No rusting due to use of plastic molded parts
- Can be installed and removed without tools
- Includes special mulching blades
- Can also be used for side discharging, though the overall cut quality may decline slightly
The mulch cover is available as an option for mulching grass or leaves. It is more convenient, but it provides a lower performance level than the mulching attachment.
OPTIONAL REAR GRASS BAGGER
The hopper design provides efficient bagging performance, clean operation, and easy-to-empty bags:
- Two durable bags with a generous, 6.5-bu (229-L) capacity lift out for emptying and are easy to reinstall.
- An efficient lower chute provides smooth flow of material to reduce chance of plugging.
- Standard mower blades can be used for bagging, and high-lift blades are available for very difficult bagging conditions.
Three-year or 200-hour bumper-to-bumper warranty is standard
An exclusive 3-year or 200-hour (whichever comes first), single-source, bumper-to-bumper warranty* is standard for all John Deere S200 Series Tractors.
- The warranty is hassle free, with one company handling all of the paperwork.
- Premium features of S200 Series Tractors allow for this longer warranty period, with more coverage than comparable tractors.
*Term limited to years or hours used, whichever comes first, and varies by model. See the LIMITED WARRANTY FOR NEW JOHN DEERE TURF AND UTILITY EQUIPMENT at JohnDeere.com or JohnDeere.ca/TUWarranty for details.
Hydro/automatic drive gives an infinite choice of ground speeds
A Kanzaki® Tuff Torq® hydro/automatic transmission gives an infinite choice of speeds and makes changing the direction of travel easy.
Side-by-side foot pedals control the speed and direction of travel:
- The automotive-type accelerator controls ensure easy operation.
- The operator can change direction without lifting foot off the platform.
- A large pedal surface gives superior operator comfort.
Appropriate transmissions are used in each model, depending on rear tire size and tractor performance requirements to ensure excellent performance and reliability:
- The S240 Tractor has a Tuff Torq K46DP transaxle with an internal wet-disk brake for reliability and long life:
- Rated for 30 percent more torque than the transaxle used in many lawn tractors
- Uses Hy-Gard™ fluid like Select Series™ X300 Tractors
STANDARD CRUISE CONTROL
Easy-to-use cruise control option maintains the tractor's speed for mowing larger areas.
- To engage, lift up on the cruise lever and hold it until foot is removed from the forward pedal.
- To disengage, lightly press and then release the forward pedal.
- For emergency stops, cruise can be released by pushing on the brake pedal or pushing down on the cruise control lever.
Kanzaki and Tuff Torq are trademarks of Kanzaki Kokyukoki Manufacturing Company.