Front and Wide-Area Mowers
You get excellent cut quality, with your choice of a rear-discharge deck or our legendary 7-Iron™ PRO deck. And when the grass stops growing, the TerrainCut 1500 Series keeps on going with snow blowers, blades, brooms and more at its disposal.
Powerful turbocharged diesel engine for superior performance
The 1600 Turbo Series III WAM is powered by a liquid-cooled, turbocharged, four-cylinder, 60-hp (44.7-kW) at 3000 rpm, PS diesel engine.
Engine features include:
- 117.3 lb-ft (159 Nm) of torque at 3000 rpm for extra lugging power on hills and in tough mowing conditions
- Large 127.6-cu in. (2.091-L) displacement, which produces the torque needed to handle hills and tough mowing conditions
Engine is a 16-valve (four valves per cylinder, two intake and two exhaust) design:
- Cold-start device to increase engine timing for improved cold starting
- Full-pressure lubrication for positive lubrication with continuous operation on slopes
- Dual-element air filter that is completely sealed for effective cleaning
- Progressive-type air-restriction indicator to let operator know when the filter needs servicing
- Automotive-type alternator (75 amp) that provides plenty of charge to the battery
- Glow plugs for quick starting in cold weather
- Automotive sensing system, which tells the operator when the engine is ready to start
- Isolated engine mounting, which reduces engine vibration in the operator's station for more comfortable operation
DIRECT FUEL INJECTION
- Injects fuel directly on top of pistons for more efficient combustion, less emissions
- Delivers more power per gallon of fuel
- Quicker starting and quieter operation
- Designed to meet California emission standards
- Features low levels of exhaust and emissions and excellent fuel economy. It meets the necessary Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Tier 4 standard and meets 97/68/EC EU non-road mobile machinery (NRMM) emissions regulation
- Electronic engine control and cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system
- High-pressure common fuel rail for lower emissions and improved engine responsiveness
FLOW OF EXHAUST DURING ENGINE OPERATION
- Exhaust airflow enters into the EGR cooler from the exhaust manifold near the turbocharger
- Cooler takes hot exhaust gases and cools them to where the temperature will not have excessive impact on combustion efficiency
- Based on load, air temperatures, and rpm, the engine control unit (ECU) opens (or closes) the EGR valve, allowing exhaust gases into the intake manifold. The gases mix with the rest of the incoming air from the turbocharger and aftercooler.
Other engine features:
- Overhead valve (OHV) for efficient combustion
- Liquid-cooled for more consistent operating temperatures
- Closed crankcase ventilation that burns crankcase hydro-carbon evaporation
- Deluxe air-intake system
- Hood that is composed of a large, black, cross-link polyethylene-composite center section with green, metal side panels
- The composite center section includes air-intake screens and helps to guide the cooler air from above the machine to the radiator. The design provides a uniform distribution of clean air, as well as minimizing the amount of chaff collection on the exterior screens.
- Additional sealing around the operator station reduces the amount of hot air blowing on the operator, which in turn improves operator comfort.
- The rear bumper helps with hood sealing and reduces the potential for rear hood damage.
22 GAL. (83.3 L) OF FUEL ON BOARD, PLENTY FOR A LONG DAY OF MOWING
The operator can fill the fuel tank without removing the hood. The fuel tank capacity is 22 U.S. gal. (83.3 L) for all-day mowing.
Exclusive air-intake system draws clean air from the top of the machine for consistent cooling
An innovative, exclusive air-intake system draws clean air from the top of the machine instead of the rear. This keeps the radiator cleaner and prevents the engine from overheating.
The high-capacity cooling system combines the radiator and hydraulic oil cooler.
Mower decks have many performance and convenience features
The 1600 Turbo Series III WAM is equipped with a 62-in. (157.5-cm) center deck and two 42-in. (106.7-cm) wings. Cutting widths are 128 in. (325.1 cm) using all three decks, 94 in. (238.8 cm) using the center deck and either wing deck, and 62 in. (157.5 cm) with the center deck only. All decks are rear discharge. Wings fold for transport and reduce the machine’s width to a narrow 84 in. (213 cm), so it can easily be driven along golf-cart-size paths or fit on a trailer. The wing decks will float 45 degrees above horizontal and 20 degrees below horizontal, following the ground contour.
All decks have a unique baffling system that reduces clumping and provides even clipping dispersal for exceptional appearance.
Features common to these rear-discharge mower decks include:
- Mower decks are fabricated from 7-gauge, 0.179-in. (4.6-mm) steel, the thickest in the industry; strength has been designed into the 1600 Turbo Series III WAM mower decks for increased reliability
- A 3/4-in. (1.9-cm) solid bar runs along the entire mower deck perimeter for added strength
- Dual-range height of cut spans 1 in. (2.54 cm) to 5.5 in. (14 cm) in 0.5-in. (1.27-cm) increment adjustments
- Wing deck float of 45 degrees upward and 20 degrees downward provides excellent cut quality when mowing undulating terrain
- Each wing deck has four caster wheels to follow ground contour and provide unmatched cut quality
- Unique baffling system produces even grass dispersal for superior appearance
PATENTED IMPACT-ABSORBING SYSTEM
A patented impact-absorbing system is provided:
- This exclusive feature allows the wing decks to move rearward and inward when contacting obstructions such as trees, curbs, or other solid objects to prevent damage.
- Mowers are safety certified (meaning that mowers have been evaluated by the manufacturer [John Deere Turf Care] and conform to American National Standards Institute [ANSI] B71.4 Safety Certification Specifications for Commercial Turf Care Equipment).
ISOLATED DECK MOTOR DESIGN
The isolated deck motor design consists of three cast-iron mounting structures for the deck motors. Rubber isolators that are similar to engine mount isolators are located between the castings and the deck shell brackets.
The rubber isolators allow the castings to flex relative to the deck shell. The addition of the isolators stops the vibration path between the hydraulic motor and the deck shell, thus preventing the amplification of sound by the deck shell.
- Radial case drain
- Pressure balanced bronze-on-steel thrust plates
- Flexible configuration of shaft, flange, and ports
- One-piece steel gears with 12-tooth profile
- Heavy-duty, low-friction sleeve bearings
- Integrated dust protector
- High-strength ductile iron body and covers
- High-temperature Viton® rubber shaft seals
- Figure 8 monolithic high-temp load seals
The deck motors are capable of withstanding high pressure requirements for all-day mowing. Motors have Viton seals, which can withstand higher hydraulic temperatures. The motor contains a dust seal to help eliminate debris from entering into the hydraulic connections.
The lift valve controls the cylinders that lift and lower the decks. It also controls the axial piston deck-motor pump (turns it on and off).
The mow valve controls the hydraulic flow to the wing deck circuits.
MOWER MULCH KIT AVAILABLE
A mulch kit is available as an attachment for field conversion. The mulch kit includes unique mulch blades, baffles, and a deflector shield to produce smaller clippings, which decompose faster than un-mulched clippings. Operators should follow the one-third rule when mulching grass.
This mulch kit also does an excellent job when mulching leaves.
BTC10335 TriCycler Mulching Kit
NOTE: Applicable for serial numbers starting with 1TC1600TPBT100007 and higher, model year 2012 and newer.
Viton is a trademark of The Chemours Company.
Standard high-back, air-ride seat provided for operator comfort
An air-ride suspension seat is standard equipment and provides maximum operator comfort across a wide range of operator traits. Key adjustments include the following:
- Weight and height adjustment allow for proper ride and suspension height.
- Fore-aft sear slide adjustment helps account for a wide range of heights.
- Fore-aft suspension travel to improve directional changes during operation.
- Back angle tilt adjustment is available for the back portion of the seat.
- Lumbar adjustment provides proper back support.
- Standard, adjustable armrests are made of a durable material that provides adequate support and surface area for the operator's arms.
- High seat-back profile features body-contoured seat cushions.
- Cushions are ideal for those who seek proper back support. The highly-resilient contoured foam construction allows for all-day mowing comfort.
- A raised seat ensures a commanding view to the front and side mower decks.
- The retractable seat belt is convenient to use.
The comfortable seat, along with ample legroom in the operator's platform, convenient pedal locations, and adjustable steering column make operator comfort on the John Deere 1600 Turbo Wide-Area Mower among the best in the industry.
The standard air-ride seat with adjustable armrests is designed with comfort, safety, and ergonomics in mind, ensuring relaxed, healthy sitting for hours on end.
The standard high-back, air-ride seat has many high-quality features:
- Adjustments are provided for operator armrests, lumbar support, and back angle, and air suspension is adjustable for the operator’s weight and ride.
The armrests are standard and the seat pads are replaceable.